I am a blog stalker. I read several blogs from people I went to college with (and they probably have no idea who I am). I also read a few blogs written by prominent Christian leaders. On one of those blogs I came a cross an interesting picture. I decided to research it a bit and I have not found anything refuting it. My question is "What do you think?"
Christians protect Muslims during prayer in Cairo's dangerous Tahrir square
Nevine Zaki
On Twitter, Nevine Zaki is circulating an image she says she photographed
Wednesday of Christians protecting Muslims during prayer.
Meredith Birkett says: On Twitter, Nevine Zaki linked to a picture she said she photographed on Wednesday of Christians protecting Muslims during their prayers in Tahrir Square. The square in Cario continues to be a scene of violence between pro- and anti-Mubarak supporters who were wielding sticks and throwing rocks. She tweeted:
Bear in mind that this pic was taken a month after z Alexandria bombing where many Christians died in vain. Yet we all stood by each other
I found this
HERE ,
HERE , and
HERE. And the first website is an MSNBC website. I know not to trust everything on the Internet, but what do you think about this picture?
While I believe Christians need to love their enemies and do good to those who persecute them, I fear that this picture communicates to those who don't know any better, that Muslims and Christians worship the same god.
ReplyDeleteWithout more information I can't do much more than speculate as to what was happening here in this picture. I think it is cool that they offered to protect them. That being said, I hope that they took the time to engage these Muslims with the Gospel letting them know that there is hope and forgiveness found in Christ. I read the blog that you are talking about Nicole and it made me sad to think that nearly everyone was saying "this is a great example of love" and "This is how Jesus would have loved them". That definitely made me scratch my head. I can't imagine for one second that Jesus would not talk about the idolatry of praying to false gods or the hopelessness of trying to earn our way to heaven by good works. I hope that the people who protected the Muslims engaged them with the Gospel after the prayers ended or sought to build relationships that could blossom into opportunities to share the Gospel. I agree with the Montgomery's that, as it stands, this picture to the average person who does not know the difference between biblical Christianity and Islam could come to the conclusion that the god of Islam and the God of Christianity are one and the same. Many of the commentator's on the blog Nicole referenced in her post show their ignorance of what the Bible says about topics like false religion.
ReplyDeleteHey thanks for sharing your opinions guys. This picture really got me thinking. I remember hearing about a local church that allowed a Muslim group to use their building during their daily Ramadan services because they were remodeling. Its kind of the same idea, you are helping them in their sin of idolatry. I agree with you chad, the comments are sad. I also agree with Nate in that this idea/ picture does communicate a wrong message to those who don't know any better.
ReplyDelete