Sunday, January 15, 2012

My Uncle

I had this Uncle. He was a funny guy, he would tell crazy stories of things that happened to him while he was in Vietnam and  something crazy that happened yesterday with such excitement. If you ever met him, you probably did not forget him, he was a character. I loved that guy. One day while I was at work teaching, Chad came into my classroom. He pulled me outside, which is never a good sign, and told me that my uncle had passed away due to a heart attack. I was devastated. His death hit me really hard. You do not expect something like that to happen so suddenly to a person who seemed ok and was not very old. What really got me though was the fact that I had never shared with him the hope that is within me. I never told him that he could have all his sins forgiven and be made white as snow, that he could have assurance and peace knowing that he would be in heaven when he died. I never told him. Did anybody? I don't know. The thought makes my stomach turn. His death was traumatic for me, when I think back now I start crying almost instantly.

        At PIE, which is where we go out and share the gospel locally, I have a friend who sometimes struggles with passing out information or talking with people. I use my uncle as encouragement for her. I shared with her what happened to him and told her to look at everybody as my uncle. I like to do this, it spurs me on. I think, how many of these people have believers in their life who pray for them? How many of these people have believers in their life who might be intimidated to share with them and are praying for somebody just like me to share with them? How many of these people will be walking into eternity this week without Christ? Every day over 150,000 people die. Check out this website to see specifics...click on the death tab.  How many of them know that they can have reconciliation through Christ? How many of them have ever heard of Christ's name? Why are we not sharing? How can we not have compassion on them? I spoke with somebody once who told me "I just don't have a burden or compassion to share" that comment just turned my stomach. How can we not have a burden to share? God commands us to in Matthew 28: 18-20 "Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” In the Psalms they speak of sharing what God has done for them many times, for example: Psalm 22:31, 35:18, 35:28, 89:1, 96:2-3, 103:19-22, 105:1 and 107:2. There are many more verses about sharing the good news with others as well. Please, Please share, tell your family, tell your friends, co-workers, strangers, and those who come across your path daily! Please do it before the opportunity is gone. How will they know unless someone tells them?




~N

1 comment: