I am reading a book about Hudson Taylor called "Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret." Its a really great read and really convicting. I wanted to share a passage that I found particularly convicting.
Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret:
Hudson Taylor is sailing on a "Junk" (boat) into a location in China. He notices a man, who he has been sharing the gospel with, fall overboard. He is able to get the captain of the ship to go back to the area he fell out....here is what happened.
"Come," he (Hudson Taylor) cried out in Chinese. "Come and drag over there. A man is drowning!"
"Veh Bin," the fishermen replied. "It is not convenient."
"Come quickly or it will be too late," Hudson pleaded.
"We are busy fishing."
"Never mind your fishing. Come at once and I will pay you well."
"How much will you give us?" the fishermen wanted to know.
"Five dollars. But hurry."
"Too little!" they called back. "We won't come for less than thirty."
Hudson told them, "I don't have that much with me. But I'll give you all I have."
"How much is that?" they asked.
"I don't know. About fourteen dollars."
They finally brought their net over. The first time they passed it through the water they dragged up the missing man. But all Hudson's efforts to revive Peter failed. It was too late. The fisherman's indifference had cost him his life.
At the conclusion of that story (he was sharing this at a church) a murmur of indignation swept over the crowd listening t Hudson. How could anyone be so callous and selfish?
That was the moment Hudson drove home his point:
"Is the body then, of so much more value than the soul? We condemn those heathen fishermen. We say they were guilty of the man's death--because they easily could have saved him, and did not do it. But what of the millions whom we leave to perish, and that eternally? What of the plain command, "Go ye into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature'?..."
"It will not do to say that you have no special call to go to China. With these facts before you, you need rather to ascertain whether you have a special call to stay home. If in the sight of God you cannot say you are sure that you have a special call to stay at home, why are you disobeying the Saviour's plain command to go? Why are you refusing to come to the help of the Lord against the mighty? If, however, it is perfectly clear that duty-not inclination, not pleasure, not business-detains you at home, are you labouring in prayer for these needy ones as you might? Is your influence used to advance the cause of God among them? Are your means as largely employed as they should be in helping forward their salvation?"
--Taken from Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret pg. 128-130

A stark reminder that we need to share Christ with others.
ReplyDelete