Warning: This blog is not written to make you feel bad for me, just for me to share my experiences.
I think I will share with you all about my most recent job substitute teaching. It was at a "Educational Opportunities" school, which means its for kids who want to do independent study, are very sick, or were suspended or expelled from the district. I have subbed at this school before and usually the job is really easy. I sit at a desk, while kids trickle in and out (by appointment) and do work at a table by themselves. Occasionally I administer a test, or grade their work. For most of the day I can enjoy peace and quiet, and catch up on my reading and quiet time in God's Word. This sub day was not like my previous sub days. Not five minutes into class I had already called campus supervisors to come escort two kids out of the classroom (I think this is a record for me!). I hate sending kids out of class and I usually move the student or verbally warn them to stop what they are doing and that works. This time it did not. The students in this class were some of the worst I have seen. I have been a substitute teacher for four years and few days have come close to this day. The kids in this class were continually challenging my authority, arguing with me, calling me racist and a white supremacist (not exactly sure where that came from), I was called a "B" by two different students (who were promptly sent to the office), there were many sexual references in class and the F word was used as often as a valley girl uses "Like." I called Chad and told him that a substitute should not have to put up with students like this and I wanted to leave. I didn't leave and after lunch the new bunch of kids were even worse! Two came in reeking of Pot! They started talking about their criminal records and who had been arrested in class. I had to have about four kids sent out of that class, two who after being kicked out were threatening towards me and made me afraid (big high school boys). One even hit my hand when I tried to show him something on his referral he had placed on the teachers desk!!! I had a kid who kept yelling the N word over and over, and did not understand why I was sending him out!! It was ridiculous. Sitting in that class, I was saddened at how those students acted and treated me. They cussed at me, argued with me and just flat out ignored me. I thought, Christ loves these kids the same as He loves me. I, at that moment, did NOT love those kids in that way. These are kids who need Christ (well we all do, but with these kids it was really obvious). They are so heavily influenced by the overly sexual TV shows and music out today. They see movies where its "cool" to hurt others, and even looked at as justified (like on the show Dexter). I know these kids have a God given conscience as it says in Romans 1. Further in that same chapter Paul goes on to describe those who are disobedient to God "being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips,slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents,without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful..." Romans 1:29-31. My heart aches for them, they need Christ. Later that night as Chad and I were sitting on the couches discussing our day, I received a call from the sub line (that is how I get a sub job). It was a three day sub job.....and to my horror it was for the same class I had just subbed for where all those problems occurred. It turns out that was a class full of students who had been expelled from the district. I did not take that sub job and actually did not have a sub job today. I don't think I could have handled that class again.
By the way....Substitute teaching is a great way to practice holding your tongue, patience and gentleness, just in case you were looking for practice LOL!!!!
~N
PS. Not all my days are like this....sometimes I feel like I'm getting paid to read my Bible all day!
I actually like writing in my blog way more than using Facebook ;)
ReplyDeleteand I'm sorry you had a horrible day of subbing at that school :(
ReplyDeleteWow Nicole.....I don't think I would have handled that situation as well as you did. Sometimes I think I am so sheltered from all that since I was home schooled and now I home school my own kids. How very sad....it must be so hard for you.
ReplyDelete