Sorrento, Italy was our first port stop after leaving Rome. We had the privilege of visiting Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius. Before the ship left port from Rome, Italy we had to do a lifeboat drill. I took a few pictures of all of us with our huge life jackets on. I could literally rest my head on the life jacket comfortably!! I thought it was pretty funny, but then again I laugh at strange things.
 |
| The sunset on the deck of the ship |
 |
| Lifeboat drill, Chad, Sonia and Sandie |
 |
| Sorrento, Italy!! |
 |
| Our hallway...kinda looked like it was from a horror movie!! |
 |
| Our boat with Mt. Vesuvius in the background. |
 |
| Aaron and I, notice how I could totally rest my head here :) |
|
So, when we landed at Sorrento, Italy we boarded a water taxi to take us to the port (the boat was too big to dock). We were then shown to our tour bus and made our way around the Italian coast to Pompeii. The drive was beautiful and we got to hear a bit about our destination from our tour guide on the way. We learned about how the town was a modern Roman town (actually it was a port....but the water is a lot farther away now!) that was covered in ash in 79 AD when the volcano erupted. What makes this site interesting is how well preserved it is. I was able to walk into Roman homes and see their mosaic flooring still in tact. They had a water fountain, a "fast food" type place, and a restaurant with a pizza oven. It was a wealthy town. We were able to see actual people (I mean you could see their bones and teeth) covered in ash in the same position they were when the volcano erupted, we also saw a dog covered in ash!) After the trip we were bussed into the main town in Sorrento and had a little bit of time to walk the streets, which were breathtaking. I would definitely love to visit this town again, it was very beautiful, no doubt because of the rich soil which allowed a large amount of flowers and trees to grow.
 |
| Dog covered in ash....how sad is this?! |
 |
| Sorrento, Italy (our boat in the background) |
 |
| love the flowers, check out the huge lemons! |
 |
| One of the many limoncello carts.....limoncello is famous there |
 |
| A person in ash |
 |
| Chad and Sonia at Pompeii |
 |
| Streets in Sorrento |
 |
| Pompeii |
 |
| Ruins of Pompeii |
 |
| The walk back to the boat....so pretty |
 |
| a street of shops in Pompeii |
 |
| yeah huge lemons....no idea how they grew that big!! |
I promise to post on the next port sooner than last time! Have alot going on on my end. Lots of stressful things. If you could be praying for me, I would appreciate it. Up next: Taromina, Italy.
~N
Good post!
ReplyDelete